Once again, I’ll be running the bellydance show for this event. Please read everything below before applying:
1. The festival runs from 10 to 5 on Saturday, May 13th, and our showtime will probably be 1pm. The rain date is Sunday the 14th (Mother’s Day). If you’re not able to perform on the rain date, please note that in your application. It won’t affect the selection process.
2. I will not accept any proposals involving songs over 5 minutes long. Going short is encouraged, as that means I can accept more performers.
3. We will be performing outdoors. This means that our music will be the soundtrack for everyone in earshot. Playful remakes of modern songs done with period instrumentation are fine, but any music that will break someone else’s Steampunk spell will not be allowed. If your song has lyrics, they must be clean enough for daytime pop radio (this is true even if the song is not in English).
4. Appropriate costuming is also required. You don’t need to go full brass and goggles, but this is not the place for your pink bedleh and matching gauzy skirt. Additionally, your costuming should not give young children an anatomy lesson if something slips or if there’s a sudden gust of wind.
Now that you’ve read all of this, here’s how to pitch:
Send an email to zia (at) tassellations (dot) com with the following info:
1. Who you are, and, if applicable, who you’ll be dancing with.
2. The name and length of your song. If available, please also include a link to it on YouTube. DO NOT SEND YOUR SONG FILE.
3. Your performance concept. This could be as simple as “I’m doing a skirt dance” or “we’re doing a sword duet” to “I will be doing an epic tribute to Maurice Broaddus’s Afro-Steampunk story ‘Pimp My Airship’ involving a working airship model and a papier-mâché cityscape.”
4. Finally, if I’ve never performed with you, or if it’s been a while since our paths have crossed, please include a link to a recent performance video so I can get a sense of your dance style. If you’re pitching a solo, please send a video of you doing a solo, and if you’re pitching a group piece, please make sure your video includes the majority of the members of your group in it.
I will try to acknowledge receipt of all pitch emails within 24 hours of receiving them. The deadline for pitches is April 1.
Thanks for pitching!
(Event photo by Bruce Mount.)